Bygland Lutheran Church
Section 10, Bygland Twp.,
Hwy 220 and 235th St. SW
Information provided by Ann, in August 2004.
The Bygland Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation was organized November 8, 1874, with Rev. Bjug Harstad. Early meetings were held in homes until the first church was built in 1876. The second church was built in 1887, and the third in 1917. In 1959 a fire destroyed the sanctuary and in 1961 a new church was dedicated.
Some of the early members were Ole Greibrok and wife Ingeborg, Ole Aanenson and wife Ragnhild, Daniel Ose, Halvor Tharaldson, Osmund Tharaldson, Knud Sorenson, Asbjorn Olson, Torkel Bjornson, Jens Egeland and wife Gunhild Marie, Hans P. Solstad and wife Anna Marie, Halvor Grundesen and wife Ragnhild, Halvor Knutson and wife Oliana and Knud Knudson among others.
This church has a very interesting history, which was written down by Alfred Solstad. Bygland Lutheran Church has two cemeteries, one cemetery (Bygland North) is in the extreme southeast corner of section 9, across the road west from the church. The church being in the southwest corner of section 10. The other, the older cemetery, is located one mile south of the newer cemetery, on the south side of section 16, a very short distance west of highway 220.
P.O. Box 127
Fisher, MN 56723
See information regarding the north cemetery.
See information regarding the south cemetery.
Posted 2006, S. Dorgan
Updated: April 28, 2015, K. Kittleson