Grand Forks, North Dakota
St. Michael's Catholic Church
520 North 6th Street
Grand Forks, ND 58203
St. Michael's Catholic Church began as far back as the Metis fur trade period. The very earliest building burned down. About 1872 the church was located probably in a log cabin on the Red River near the present Grand Forks Chamber of Commerce Building. The next location was at 6th Street and DeMers Avenue. Then they located to the present location at 520 North 6th Street.
Records back to 1872 are available for baptisms and some marriages. The earliest records (1868-1872) were lost when the St. Boniface Church in Manitoba burned down. A great variety of families became a part of the membership of St. Michael's including Metis, French, Irish, Czech, and Polish.
Copyright 2015, MNGenWeb
Posted March 13, 2015, K. Kittleson