Polk County, Minnesota
In 1887 the Hafslo congregation was organized with 45 members. The first officers were H.J. Hoff, John Urness and Christ Baarnaas. The church was built in 1888 and named from Hafslo, Norway as some members were from there. The church was built on the S. Sylvesterson farm 1-1/2 miles east of the Marin Station (Harold Station) and this cemetery is at that location.
In 1907 the church was moved two miles south to Russia Township and a new cemetery established on land donated by E.B. Durdahl.
To accommodate the growing congregation an addition was added in 1924 and a basement in 1936. Hafslo merged with Beltrami, Trinity and Scandia to form the Beltrami Parish in 1955. The church was closed in January of 1978, with families transferring to Crookston, Fertile and some to Varnes Lutheran near Fertile, MN. This small cemetery is very well taken care of.Thanks to Ann for the picture -- August 2003
Copyright 2003-2015 MNGenWeb
Updated March 2006, Shirley Dorgan
Updated March 2015, K. Kittleson